Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Yes" moments

Sometimes a long day opens up the mind for contemplation.  I am officially knee deep in my second half of my woman’s health clinical rotation.  I never thought I would enjoy woman’s health, but at times I do. Take this week for example I had the opportunity to call a patient regarding her labs and let her know that her results where normal. I re-enforced the need to eat a well balanced diet and to exercise (something everyone should do) and during the call you could hear the relief in the woman’s voice.  That is when you have that “yes” moment. Helping, giving reassurance, educating and being “there” for your patients, that is what is important. 

In addition to school and working I had the opportunity to attend United Way of NM’s Breakfast event.  Another "yes" moment given to me by my friend Maren. She invited me to the event, and although I thought I was going to hang out and eat breakfast with her, I did enjoy meeting a wealth of individuals in the non-profit community.  You never know who you are going to meet.  It was a great morning, and taught me a lot.  The event ended with a wonderful opportunity and a brief chat with Mayor Berry. 

Now, you may ask why I care to meet Mayor Richard J. Berry?  Well, you see the mayor has an initiative to end homelessness. As some people know I volunteer (and hopefully soon serve on the board) for a non-profit that works towards helping children who are experiencing homelessness. I had to do a quick meet and greet with the Mayor to remind him of the wonderful organization I serve.  Hopefully we can partner to expand and help even more people. But it should be said, in my opinion in order to help someone you should give them the tools for success trough education or opportunities. But what they do with those skills is their own choice. I akin it to the Chinese proverb “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”.   

So just a small blog today, but long thoughts surround my synapses. I will write more soon…and remember my peers and I are more than JUST any one dimension, one job, or one definition. We ARE nurses.

And now to listen to my new favorite:

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Helping people by educating them is what keeps me going back every day. I can't tell you how many times a patient has said to me "no one ever told me that." Never assume someone knows what you know, and even if they do, it never hurts to hear it again. p.s. I love the music, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete