Friday, December 10, 2010

My thoughts...Rural Health


Tonight I am just about to head out the door to a Christmas party, but my heart is full of thoughts so here it goes:

Today was my last day of clinical for the semester. In the words of one of my awesome peers “1/3 done!”…so what have I learned:

1. The “definition” of rural per an on-line dictionary: 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the country. 2. Of or relating to people who live in the country: rural households. 3. Of or relating to farming; agricultural.

2. My hearts definition of rural: were we come from, where we go to, our friends, our neighbors and even those in between

3. Glimpses of this clinical rotation: The shy patient who couldn't drive “Into town”, the wealthy business man who “likes” his check-ups here(.), the beautiful pregnant mother excited and nervous about her upcoming birth. All of whom are thankful to see the Nurse Practitioners I learned from.

4. I learned that working with patients will sometimes mean asking them questions that might make them cry, offering a shoulder, getting to the real problem and have them leave feeling re-assured and truly cared for.

5. Clinic work means working with “Big Brothers” who request three stickers one for them and two for their sisters. “The pink princess ones please”…

6. Clinic work means finding a lump in a woman’s breast, who is at a loss for insurance and came to you after not being seen for 5 yrs because she “saved up, and its time I had an exam, I turn 60 tomorrow”. My mind kept drifting back to her, and with help from friends and an awesome social worker (you are both beautiful souls) I found a place for her to get her mammogram for free. Thank you

7. I have gone from the student to the teacher, to the mentor and returned to the student (while still occasionally mentoring on the side). But as I breathe out, I am slowly returning to that place were my soul feels good. It has been a long year. I have walked away for some people and some things, while opening new doors and hugging old friends. What lies next I have no idea.

~m

No comments:

Post a Comment