Sunday, January 9, 2011

Long break, long thoughts.

This winter break was filled with a “to-do” list that HAD to be completed. I tackled my chores and working with vigor but after a few days I started to feel like as though something was missing. I filled my time with my family, which was a great change. Seeing my family’s faces when they opened their presents and just falling asleep on the couch with them as we watched movies made life easy in a way that makes your heart feel warm. I rang in New Years in Seattle and enjoyed the ability to have Starbucks on every corner! Friends, champagne and great music filled me with renewed laughter, but I still had that feeling in the back of my head and maybe my heart as though there was just a little something missing.

My epiphany came with simple reflection during my long flight back. There are a few things in life that I really enjoy: helping people, mentoring and making connections. With that in mind I decided that we are the creators of our own journeys. If you want more, then it is up to you to achieve more. I want more, and now is my time for action.

Wednesday is my official interview for Cuidando Los Niños (http://clnkids.org/). It is time to take the next step and start to give more to my community. And what is next in the beautiful nursing community that has come to define me? I will continue with this adventure and mental challenge of school, learning and growing into a new nursing profession. There is of course one more step. One that involves intertwining the lives of those that mold me, molds others, and brings them together. It will take work and more mentorship in a new avenue of expertise.

I think each New Year brings with it potential energy. That energy is free flowing and waiting for determination to take hold, utilize and become a mold. The key is that opportunities always await each new chapter in life, so now is time to take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment